Send me an email or leave a note with the title and short description of a video game that doesn't exist.
Once a week, I will draw pretend box art for your pretend game. It'll be fun. Maybe.

April 23, 2010

Captain Crash's Race Wizard Battle!

This week, from Brian L.:
I am a HUGE fan of those old school video games that had incredibly weird premises because the programmers were basically doing the art and they would make blobs of color and then decide what they looked like so you would get things like:

Captain Crash's Race Wizard Battle!

With a premise like:

Mole Men Robots from the earth's core are attacking the city of Carzania! Only Captain Crash and his talking machine-gun-car can race to battle and learn the powerful magic of the Sage Wizards to defeat Golzonor and the Mole-bots!

Another old school game. Brian L. is a million times correct- those Atari 2600 era games were completely free to be as gonzo as they pleased. The world was their weird, weird oyster. There's a lot to envy in that freedom.

So I decided to be as strictly formalistic as I could. That seemed funny. This is clearly an Activision box for the Atari (Video Computer System). On the whole, those are some exceptionally stylish boxes. Fluid, colorful, formal- it's like a minimalist on a sugar bender. Really the great majority of the Atari boxes are wonderful. Half-Bill Sienkiewicz, half-Josef Albers. That's a beautiful baby!

Would I play this? Sure! I mean, I would die from some unavoidable, insta-kill crap and it would restart me at the very beginning and I would have to call three of my friends to help me throw my controller at the tv- but I'd play it!

No comments:

Post a Comment