Send me an email or leave a note with the title and short description of a video game that doesn't exist.
Once a week, I will draw pretend box art for your pretend game. It'll be fun. Maybe.

May 1, 2010

Legend of Zelda: The Golden Age of Hyrule

This week's submission gets right to the point. From Nick W.:
Legend of Zelda: The Golden Age of Hyrule is a Zelda-centric kingdom-building / court-managing / adventuring hybrid.

Man. MAN. This is an exciting idea. There's so much going on inside the idea of the gameplay that for a while I was a kid in a candy shop.

I decided to stay simple. Focus on the castle- the real impetus for forward movement in a game such as this. One of the major drawbacks of kingdom/political sims is the high expectation of being overly complicated. Tough to learn, tough get involved. So it was very important to give a very simple, very non-threatening face to this game. I want someone to accidentally realize years down the road that this was the first Civ game they played.

I also wanted the cover to looks older as if- well, Hyrule's "Golden Age" is something we're fondly looking back upon. If anyone is living on nostalgia, it's the Zelda series. I zing with a heavy heart.

Would I play this? Try and stop me. This sounds like a game after my own heart. Dear Nick: Please rise to unexpected power inside Nintendo and make this happen. I fear it would be undoubtedly shoved onto the DS but I promise I would play this game every day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, here! I found my original article about this idea. It's sort of frustrating that it relies so heavily on the established Zelda IP, since "some generic kingdom + princess" wouldn't be as startling a reversal of expectation.

Post a Comment